Police Arrest 21,615 For Violating Traffic Rules, Release new guidelines Ahead Of Festive Season
By Uganda Online
Kampala: The directorate of traffic police spokesperson Faridah Nampiima has revealed that so far they have arrested a total number of 21,615 traffic offenders on various traffic offenses at various checkpoints countrywide from 01 to 19th December 2021.
Among the arrested traffic offenders, 682 are suspected to have been overspeeding, 3,528 arrested for reckless driving 1,180 not wearing seat belts, 1,481 were found with invalid driving licenses while 2,207 had no Third-party insurance.
In a statement dated 20, 12, 2021, Nampiima revealed that police have revamped operation with increased checkpoints across the country to reduce road accidents ahead of the festive season and the guidelines include the following;
1. Carrying out operations on reckless driving and other offenses that are largely responsible for road carnage.
2. Strengthening operations on speeding.
3. Increase motorized patrols [vehicles and motor cycles]
4. Sensitizing road users against drunk driving all drivers are reminded not to drink and drive.
5. Ensuring that only competent drivers are on the roads by checking for validity of their driver’s license all drivers are reminded to drive on roads with a copy of a valid driving license.
6. Inspect vehicles to ascertain their roadworthiness and all drivers are reminded to avoid driving vehicles that are in a dangerous mechanical condition on the roads. 7. Enhance operations on boda boda.
8. We are to strengthen the Fika Salama operations at our Fika Salama checkpoints which operate 24 hours/7days.
9. Enhance community policing which is already being done by the different officers in charge of traffic in the different parts of the country.