Done Deal! Medica Workers Call Off Strike As Gov’t Agrees To Deposit Their Payments Immediately

By Uganda Online

Kampala: Striking Medica interns have agreed to call off their industrial action following a closed-door meeting with the government officials where the government committed to making their payments within two days.

According to the meeting held between the medical interns, the executive committee of the Uganda Medical Association, Ministry of Health officials, the Minister of ICT and National Guidance and representatives from the National Organisation of Trade Unions(NOTU), all medical interns have been told not leave their posts as previously ordered by the Dr, Mwebesa the director-general health services.


Dr. Chris Baryomunsi, the minister of ICT and National Guidance confirmed that the funds meant for the payment of intern allowances will be transferred to the accounts of the training institutions effective December 20.

He further noted that the government will also pay all interns, pharmacists and nurses who went on strike all their allowances in arrears for the period worked starting July 1 to November 6.


According to Baryomunsi, the interns will be paid 2.5 million monthly.

The interns went on strike in May 2021, following the government’s failure to release funds that were meant for their allowances. Previously interns were earning between 750,000 and 800,000 Shillings.

President Yoweri Museveni directed that the allowances of interns be raised to 2.5 million Shillings.
After this directive, the interns went back to work but they never received any payments leading to another strike in November.

Meanwhile, Dr Lilian Nabwire, the president of the Federation of Uganda Medical Interns welcomed the ministry’s decision to stop the eviction and the government’s decision to fulfill their demands.

“Many interns were worried about the orders but now they can stay where they are. We are happy about this and all the other things agreed upon,” she said.


The medical interns and doctors under UMA also agreed to withdraw the court’s case that was filed on Thursday suing both the director-general and minister of health, Dr Jane Ruth Aceng.


The UMA executive also agreed to meet their members on Monday and find a way forward on their ongoing industrial action that is now in its fourth week.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.