Billionaire Born Today: East Africa’s Business Mogul Sudhir Ruparelia Clocks 66
Kampala: East Africa’s celebrated billionaire, money magnet, business mogul, honorary consul of the Republic of Nepal to Uganda HE.Dr. Sudhir Ruparelia has today clocked 66yrs old.
Ruparelia was born on 17 January 1956 in Kabatoro, Kasese District in the Western Region of Uganda to an upper-middle-class Indian Gujarati family. His great-grandfather reached Mombasa, Kenya in 1897 from India and set up a trading store there before coming to Uganda in 1903. His grandfather was born in Uganda in 1908 and his father in 1932.
Dr Sudhir Ruparelia is the founder and Chairman of the Ruparelia Group, one of Uganda’s largest business conglomerates with investments in financial services, real estate, education services, hospitality, agriculture, and media/broadcasting.
In February 2020, Ruparelia was appointed as honorary consul of the Republic of Nepal to Uganda, by Bidhya Devi Bhandari, the president of Nepal. On 17 March 2020, he presented his credentials to Sam Kutesa, Uganda’s foreign minister then. He reports to the nearest substantive Nepalese embassy, in Cairo, Egypt.
A true definition of a self-made billionaire entrepreneur, In 1972 having relocated to the United Kingdom with his family he completed his O and A levels before working at various companies as an accountant.
He returned to Uganda in 1985 having amassed savings of only 65 million UGX, he and his wife have built the Ruparelia Group into an over $1.1 billion conglomerate.
Through the Ruparelia Foundation Group a foundation established in 2012, they are regular and substantial supporters of various corporate social activities in sports, healthcare, arts and culture, heritage and religion, environmental and wildlife conservation, agricultural research, education and talent development.
He is also the Chairman of Meera Investments Limited the property development arm of the Ruparelia group. Its goal is to feed the unmet need for affordable yet modern residential and working space for a fast-growing Ugandan economy that was emerging from years of war and underinvestment in the real estate sector.
Meera Investments is now the largest developer of commercial and residential space, with over 300 properties in Kampala and other major towns like Mukono, Jinja, Mbale and Mbarara. Meera also has the largest number of ongoing real state projects and is the largest private owner of commercial land in Kampala.
Meanwhile, thousands of young people he has mentored, relatives, friends, and people from various corners of the world have heaped birthday wishes to Sudhir describing him as a statesman who has built Uganda’s economy from turmoil to paradise.
Here are some of the heartfelt birthday messages from various social media platforms.
1. Andrew Irumba Live; Happiest birthday tycoon Dr. Sudhir Ruparelia! May live to blow 10000 candles! Where would I be without you?.
2. Vanessa Fortunate: Happy birthday Baba Sudhir Ruparelia the most inspirational entrepreneur, mentor & business stakeholder. May God grant you agreat longlife full of joy and many more grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
3. Yusuf Mutyaba: Happy birthday Dr. Sudhir Ruparelia, your an inspiration to the young generation, I so much appreciate you sir for you mentorship
4. Bukenya Sulaiman; It’s a Special Day, A hero Congratulations 66 year’s of life wow Happy birthday to you Billionaire, Mzee, Dr Sudhir Ruparelia Absolutely I will like to succinctly you profitable wisdom, and knowledge. You helped millions of people, you have made thousands millionaires and Billionaires too, True Statesman built our Uganda country economy from turmoil to paradise, Your book talking of your legacy is endless, Happy moment chief. Tycoon, you deserve better than a specially baked cake, Billionaire you are worth more than Diamonds and Golds, Hence I wish you a torrent of joy, love, peace, grace and Happiness. Many Happy Returns to you as you celebrate your birthday. Mr ××.
5. Zalwa Al-fantah swammit page
Happy birthday to the richest man in Uganda Dr. Sudhir Ruparelia you have been inspirational and motivational to our pearl of Africa, I have no special gift that I can give you today better than saying Thank you for your generosity and support. it was serendipity to have a person like you.